questions about extended attributes support across *nix & osx (hfs+) filesys

snowcrash+rsync schneecrash+rsync at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 06:00:38 GMT 2006

> First, to be clear, you are building rsync on Mac OS X, right?
> You need at least Tiger.

absolutely.  i've an up-to-date osx 10.4.8 install, w/ latest XTools
etc from Apple.

> Don't enable acl support on osx. It doesn't work. You probably don't
> have ACLs on your files anyways as it has to be enabled on a per-
> filesystem level, and defaults to off.

ah. i'd thought it was *requried* for the extended-attributes support.
 my mistake.

> Supposing rsync did support ACLs on osx, however, it would use:
>
> -r--r--r--    1 root     wheel        6630 Mar 21  2005 /usr/include/
> sys/acl.h

hm. that should be in search path.  given that it doesn't work anyway, the c

> >       xattrs.diff --> "#include "sysxattr.h"
>
> The file you need, which will be found automatically by configure is:
> -r--r--r--    1 root     wheel        2367 Mar 26  2005 /usr/include/
> sys/xattr.h
>
> >       configure   --> #include <features.h>
>
> Why do you need this file? Although configure mentions it, it's only
> within the context of a 'linux-glibc' clause.
>
> >       copyfile.h
>
> This is only needed for apple's hack.
> rsync 2.6.9 has nothing to do with this file.
> This file is also not free and you can't redistribute it.
>
> > each of the above errors was resolved, in part, by installing the
> > dependencies i'd mentioned.
>
> I don't understand why you installed rpms onto a mac. Maybe this is
> miscommunication and you are talking about compiling on linux?

no.  i did not install the rpms.  rather, per my original post (iirc),
i extracted the sources from the rpms (via cpio extract ...) in order
to get at the header files that the build was complaining about as
missing ...

> If you are compiling 2.6.9 on mac osx tiger, use these commands:
>      patch -p1 <patches/acls.diff
>      patch -p1 <patches/xattrs.diff
>      ./prepare-source
>      ./configure --enable-xattr-support
>      make
> NOTE: I did not enable acl support.

noted.

givenn some of your comments, i think i'll need to replicated & post
my results ... what i'm hearing you say,  and what i remember
happening, are different.

which i'll do when i'm not so dog tired.

thanks, and i'll follow up soon.