questions about extended attributes support across *nix & osx (hfs+) filesys

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Nov 25 03:11:58 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 09:27:59AM -0800, snowcrash+rsync wrote:
> (1) i note that the 'new' xattr/acl support applies to osx as well.
> is this intended to replace apple's patched support?

Eventually.  The xattr patch still needs work to finish it up, but
when it finally makes it into the main rsync release, it should
hopefully work with OS X too at that point.  Also, there is apparently
some work needed to add support for the non-posix ACLs that OS X has.

> will these dependencies be resolved -- either by bundling req'd
> headers with the distro, or by finding/using osx equivalents?

The main release should stick fairly close to the posix functions,
and will not have any extra libraries bundled in.  If someone has
some simple code that would wrap up more native OS X functions into
posix-like functions, that would be considered, but I doubt it would
be a very simple wrapper.