Is it okay to rsync the same source to the same dest multipletimes?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Nov 9 02:27:13 GMT 2006

> If you can segment the list, or at least use some disjoint excludes so
> that the processes get out of lockstep with each other, you'll be better
> off.

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do so far.

> If you are limited by CPU when running multiple rsyncs, you may need to
> turn off compression.  If you are limited by disk I/O on the receiving
> side, you can turn off the checksumming-rsync algorithm (--whole-file).
> Experiment and see what works best for you.

I need about four or five CPUs on the source end running rsync -z to
saturate the DS-3.  The destination end is any number of computers (all
faster than what I have at the source end) connected to a SAN, so they
just sit around polishing their fingernails and acting bored. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Skip