problem to backup some folder - folder empy

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 21 04:00:25 GMT 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 03:45:39PM -0700, Collin Marc wrote:
> BDIR=/home/$USER
> EXCLUDE=exclude.txt
> OPTS="-a -r -v -p -t --del --exclude-from=$EXCLUDE
> --progress"
> BACKUPDIR=/media/dvdrecorder
> rsync $OPTS $BDIR $BACKUPDIR

I note that the $USER dir is included as the base directory in the
transfer.  First, make sure that you're looking for the files in
the directory /media/dvdrecorder/$USER/.kde/share and not in
/media/dvdrecorder/.kde/share .

Next, the trialing triple-star includes will only work if you're
using rsync-2.6.7 or later on the sending side.  If you're using
an older rsync, you'll need to change those lines into a separate
directory include + a separate include of the contents inside the
directory.  Alternately, you could change your exclude idiom so
that it works in a slightly different way.

For instance, here's one way to do what you want that works with
all versions of rsync.  It involves a slightly modified exclude
file in which I anchored the rules (to avoid any unexpected
matching and to make them more efficient).  I anchored all the
exclude rules too, so there that means that there needs to be a
few more of them:

+ /*/.kde/
+ /*/.kde/share/
+ /*/.kde/share/apps/
+ /*/.kde/share/apps/kmail/
+ /*/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/
+ /*/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/
+ /*/.kde/share/apps/kabc/
- /*/.kde/share/apps/*
- /*/.kde/share/*
- /*/.*

Using that exclude file should work for you.