yet another "rsync hangs" question

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat May 20 15:50:41 GMT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 01:35:19PM -0400, mirko.vukovic at us.tel.com wrote:
> I am using rsync 2.6.6 on windows xp professional and cygwin (latest)
> to sync files between the hard-drives and the portable drive.  There
> is no other rsync daemon that I am contacting.

As far as I know, cygwin hasn't yet fixed their pipe code.  Pipes are
used any time that rsync needs to communicate with another program on
the same machine, such as when it uses ssh to run the remote rsync
command.  You might try using --blocking-io to see if that makes any
difference.  If not, other folks have worked around the problem by using
an rsync daemon connection (since this bypasses the cygwin pipe code);
to do this, you'll need to run a daemon on one of the systems, switch
the initiating command to use daemon syntax in its remote arg, and
perhaps open up the daemon port in your firewall (if it is blocked).