rsync option for continuing event i/o errors occured on remove server

Gabriel CORRE gac at 4js.com
Wed May 17 08:53:56 GMT 2006

Hello,

I search a way to continue processing backup event i/o errors occured on the remote server.

I use rsync to make backup of files on a files-server.
Recently I had a corrupted file on the files-server and rysnc crash,
and don't continue to backup the rest of files.

I have found the --ignore-errors rsync option but it seems only about deleting action.

On backup server I use this options line (without deleting action):
rsync --archive --stats \
      --exclude-from=/path/to/exclude/file.exclude \
      --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync \
      --rsh=ssh \
      myserver:/home .

And got this error:

write failed on user/path/to/corrupted/file.html : Success
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(244)
rsync: error writing 4092 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)

Other informations:

on backup server: rsync --version
rsync  version 2.5.6cvs  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

on files server: rsync --version
rsync  version 2.5.7  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

Thanks

--
Gabriel CORRE
gac at 4js.com - Four J's Development Tools - www.4js.com