hello Linus...

Linus Hicks lihicks at gpi.com
Tue Mar 28 18:03:54 GMT 2006

I have included the rsync maillist address in the reply as you are more likely
to get useful responses by posting to the list.

ellsatish at gmail.com wrote:
> Linus,
>
>  started the massive transfer based on the historical timings, but now I am facing lots of problems in the transfer...I am getting lot of errors like this..
>
> This is a very critical production update I have only 3 weeks time to complete this 4 tb transfer that was taken from historical times using rsync
>
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (30 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 2897 bytes: phase "unknown" [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsync: write failed on "/db31/oradata/sids/w1.dbf": File too large (27)
> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(291)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (55 bytes received so far) [generator]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (30 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c (434)
>
> I am running 6 batch files that contain a total of 15500 files and total size of all oracle datafiles is 4 tb.
>
> Other info i recently upgraded to RSYNC version "2.6.6  protocol version 29" on destination server...
>
> Source server rsync  version 2.6.5  protocol version 29
>
> Thanks for your quick help...
It's just a guess, but the "File too large" error message looks important to me.
Make sure rsync supports large files. Enter "rsync -h" and it will show you its
capabilities. Make sure that list includes 64-bit files.

Linus