rsync plus cygwin: language problems with filenames

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Mar 14 17:02:07 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:12:48PM -0800, Steve Robinson wrote:
> I further proved that it is very likely just a Windows problem by trying
> to copy one of the files in Ubuntu Linux.

Yes, this is something that MS Windows is doing outside of rsync's
control, so it is not something that the main rsync distribution is even
looking at because there's nothing to fix in the main distribution.
This may be something that the cygwin folks can look into fixing,
though.

The problem is that rsync asks for the name of a file via readdir(), and
MS Windows munges the name instead of returning it verbatim.  Rsync then
tries to use the provided filename to open the file, and MS Windows says
that it doesn't exist.  At that point there's nothing rsync can do.

Perhaps the cygwin version of rsync could be marked as understanding
unicode -- something that I assume the cygwin packagers would do when
building the rsync package.