Help understanding rsync and cwrsync

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 2 02:40:56 GMT 2006

--- Doug Lochart <dlochart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Windows (cw)Rsync Client -->  Linux Rsync server
>
> 1)  Should we abandon cwrsync for cygwin + rsync?
> Have the
> disparities between the two versions been resolved?

I am using cwrsync and it runs fine connecting to
Slackware server.

> 2)  What are the risks with using cwrsync (we want a
> limited footprint
> on the client)?

What risks?  The "footprint" is small.

> 3)  Assuming we use straight cygwin + rsync how does
> the linux rsync
> server handle the permissions and ACL's of an NTFS
> files system?  Are
> they restorable back to a windows machine?  The
> linux server won't
> have any of the users plus the ACLS stuff is totally
> different that
> unix.

Can't say.  I don't use cygwin.

> We will be using rsync over an SSH tunnel to start
> but will eventually
> switch to rsync over SSL.

Why?  What is wrong with SSH?  I do not believe rsync
supports SSL natively yet.

> We want to be able to add module definitions to the
> rsyncd.conf file
> as we go along without having to restart the rsync
> daemon or inetd
> service.  We want this so that we can add new client
> machines without
> interfering with other clients use of the server.
> Is what we are
> trying to do workable?  If so how should we run our
> rsync server.

The config file containing the module settings is read
by rsync at every connection so you do not need to
restart the daemon.  Alternatively, you can run rsyncd
on a single-transfer basis.  The remote user invokes
the daemon.