Rsync fails to rename on Windoze2003

Corey Wirun - Lists junkmail001 at wirun.homelinux.net
Sat Jun 24 20:22:25 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I've seen several variations on this topic, but nothing exactly the same:

I have two Windows 2003 servers that I want to use rsync (2.6.8) to mirror.  These machines are separated by a WAN.

Initial attempts to get rsync working between them have not been successful.  The first rsync went fine, which seeded the files, but the second sync always fails (at a ramdom time) with a

rsync: rename "AP16A7~1.cab.V55PQE" (in MEDIA_2006) -> "AP16A7~1.cab": Permission denied (13)

On the server, the rsyncd (from cwRsyncd), I initially ran the service as user SvcwRsync (from the installer), then added the user to the Administrators group, then changed the server to run as Administrator, all to no avail.

If it was a perms problem, I wouldn't get _any_ files updated, but this fails on the rename at a random time.

So I changed the rsync client to --inplace and I see (again random):

unexpected tag 3 [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(828) [sender=2.6.8]

I really would prefer to not have to use --inplace to optimize the bandwidth taken up.

Any thoughts on why the rename fails?  I would have thought the owner of the service as local Administrator would be fine!

Thanks in Advance!
Corey.