Rsync dies with "Invalid file index:" error message

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jun 24 18:07:02 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 03:03:10PM +0200, Frank Fegert wrote:
> i'm having a rather strange problem with rsync (v2.6.8). Rsync is run to synchronize
> two identical, rather old Solaris 2.6 servers.

I have heard of some problems with some Solaris versions of ssh, so it
may help to install openssh.

> Invalid file index: 1610612736 (count=214) [sender]

This number is exactly 0x60000000, so another possibility that comes to
mind is that the byte-order messed up somehow. Look in byteorder.h and
make sure that CAREFUL_ALIGNMENT is being defined on any system that
uses most-significant-byte-first ordering.