Reading for area during rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jan 30 20:27:38 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 02:05:51PM +0200, Mark, Oren wrote:
> There is an area I would like to rsync with remote site. Is there a
> problem reading/writing to that area during the time rsync is in
> progress?

Rsync should handle changes fairly well, but it is not perfect.  If the
currently-active file is changed while it is being transferred, rsync
can create a version on the destination that is a combination of the old
and new data (if that is what was read by the sender), but the next
transfer should fix the bogus file (since the mtime should have been
updated by the change that occurred on the sending side after the
transfer started).  You will also see some complaints about vanished
files that occur because rsync has scanned a file earlier, but found it
missing when it came time to actually send it (which you can choose to
ignore).  The only thing that should really confuse rsync is if someone
tweaks the modified time on a source file back to an old value after
making a change (that would require the use of the expensive -c option
for rsync to notice when that happens).