High volume problem: stat: no such file or directory

Lars Nordin lnordin at noblesys.com
Tue Jan 24 18:51:54 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 01:38 pm, Bob Robison wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:32:35 -0600
> Bob Robison <bob.robison at swri.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > After running a while, I have seen as many as 300+ rsync processes
> > remain active.  I have seen the client side process stay active for a
> > long time (7-10 minutes) while trying to transfer a few-K file.  I
> > 'shut off' the source of these transfers and eventually, the server
> > process catches up.  The last time I tried this I saw a 10 minute gap
> > in the timestamps showing up in the syslog file --- like something
> > was hung for that whole time, and then finally cleared up.
>
> ... update: I found that it wasn't a 10 minute gap, but rather data out of
order in the syslog output.  i.e. several messages that had been time-tagged
at 18:07 showed up after 18:17 in the log file.  This may be another
indication that there is an undesirable interaction with syslog.

FYI, by default syslog does synchronous writes to the file specified in
syslog. So depending on how busy syslog is and how busy the disk(s) that
contain that syslog file then you could run into some poor performance. You
could prepend the log file in /etc/syslog.conf with "-" (like
"mail.*    -/var/log/mail.log") and see if performance improves.