problem with rsyncing web site

Walls, Bryan (MSFC-IS04) ef Bryan.Walls at nasa.gov
Sat Jan 21 01:36:22 GMT 2006

I'm currently running a web site on Windows 2000 (ISS5), and I need
to mirror the content to a Unix server running Apache.

I've installed Cygwin, and I have rsync working to copy content over
ssh. However, content is being copied with permissions being supplied
for the user, but being zeroed out for group and world.

In other words, most files get copied like:
-rwx------	default.htm

Apparently Apache needs world read and execute on at least the
directories? Definitely, it needs read access.

Now, I could do the rsync, and then go back and fix the permissions.
But that means that all the files will be unreachable on the web site
during the rsync process. Which can take a while, so it's ugly.

Is there a way to force rsync to take permissions from the enclosing
folder? Or something?

Windows has read and execute privilege for the files for
"Authenticated User", but no permission for "Everybody".  In fact,
there is no "Everybody" group on the server, for security reasons.

--
Bryan Walls                             My words are not NASA policy.
Bryan.Walls at nasa.gov             (256)544-3311 voice,544-1070 fax