Illustration showing the rsync SRC and DEST args

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 04:04:04 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 22:49 +0100, David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. wrote:
> http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_1_web.png

Very nice.

> http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_2_web.png

Very nice.  I checked the diagram against get_local_name in main.c,
which governs all of the behavior except for the distinction between
srcdir and srcdir/.  I would say "with -r option" rather than "-r option
assumed", which is ambiguous: does the diagram assume the user specifies
the option, or does rsync assume the user wants the option?  Delete the
duplicate "destdir/" row at the bottom.

You have discovered an incongruity in get_local_name, which is that
rsync refuses to replace a file with a nonempty directory (i.e. more
than 1 file being transferred) but is perfectly capable of replacing a
file with an empty directory using a local name.  I'm looking for a way
to fix this.

> http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_3_web.png
> http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_3_large_web.png

Nice, but you should make it clear that this diagram is for an rsync
_daemon_ over SSH instead of an ordinary rsync over SSH.  Minor point:
the client does not reveal ssh_id_key!  It proves its identity by
responding to a challenge from the server using ssh_id_key.

I'm sure your diagrams will be well appreciated.
--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net
http://hashproduct.metaesthetics.net/