checksum

mario at bortal.de mario at bortal.de
Wed Feb 15 19:01:19 GMT 2006

Hello Wayne,

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:13:27PM +0100, mario at bortal.de wrote:
>> is this documented in detail somewhere? ;)
>
> The "how rsync works" document mentions the checksum verification at the
> end of a transfer:
>
>     http://rsync.samba.org/how-rsync-works.html
>
> It was not really mentioned in the rsync man page (except in passing in
> options such as --append) until just moments ago:
>
>     http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/nightly/rsync.html
>
> There's now a brief mention under --checksum.

(...)Since this whole-file checksumming of all files on both sides of the
connection occurs in addition to the automatic checksum verifications that
occur during and after a file's transfer(...)

So you are saying the --checksum option uses a whole-file checksum of all
files on both sides...

... on the other hand you are saying that this happens anyway with the
automatic checksum verification, regardless which options you use?!

Then there is also this block-sum verification
(...) Then the local file is read and a checksum is generated for the
block beginning with the first byte of the local file(...)

I am a little confused now. But i am sure i am just about to put all
puzzle pices together. :-)

Thanks, Mario