sync 54 million files, tuning rsync?

Jerry juanino at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 03:55:20 GMT 2006

The design is outside of my control.  It's not a
regular replication it's a migration from one netapp
nfs appliance to another. (And no, I can't use the
wonderful block-level replication they provide due to
some other complex reasons).

I'm wondering if there is a way to tell rsync, go
ahead, take each dir off the top level and fire up an
independent rsync to do this.  It seems it's not using
all my cpu, memory, or bandwidth (on either side) to
accomplish the task.  I'm not sure where I'm being
throttled, except maybe the NFS client on the Solaris
box not being very efficient (Solaris 10, so it
*should* be).