no such file or directory - but hey, the files are there!

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 03:39:25 GMT 2006

On 12/25/06, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> I don't.  Paths are only absolute if they begin with a slash -- there's
> too much code that depends on this, and there's no need to make an
> exception when the path can be represented as /cygdrive/u instead of u:
> (as I mentioned in the first reply).  If someone releasing a cygwin
> version wants to extend the P_PATH handling in loadparam.c to translate
> a drive prefix into an absolute path, that would be easy enough to do.
> But no normal file/dir-handling code should have anything to do with
> drive letters.

OK, I suppose rsync isn't required to work 100% correctly on Cygwin
because it is meant for POSIX-like systems.  It occurs to me that, for
security, a Cygwin rsync must also translate arguments from the
client.  Otherwise, a client could escape from a module configured
with chroot off by specifying a path like "c:", and rsync would not be
the wiser.

Matt