rsync stuck after correctly sending the file

Loic Le Loarer loic_leloarer at sdesigns.eu
Fri Dec 15 14:11:06 GMT 2006

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Loïc Le Loarer <loic_leloarer at sdesigns.eu> wrote:
>> I'm using rsync to replicate a cvs repository, it is working quite good
>> except that I occassionnaly see rsync stucked after having transfered a
>> file, it is always on a big ,v file containing multiple version of big
>> binary file.
>> [...]
>> What else could I do to help debugging this issue ?
>
> You've shown us the straces for two of the three processes: the
> receiver (on the client) and the sender (on the server), but not the
> generator (a second process on the client side).  As far as I can
> tell, they are both doing what they should be doing: the receiver is
> waiting for a file from the sender, which is waiting for data from the
> generator.  We need to know what the generator is doing.  Could you
> post its strace?

I didn't keep the generator strace file for this failure, sorry, but I
have been able to generate a new set of straces for the same problem:
when rsyncing two directories which contain one big ,v file, rsync is
stuck after having transfered the big file correctly.

The command line is something like :
mordred$ rsync -e cvslrsh -dgopv --del path/ hirondelle:path
and the cvslrsh script is calling rsh to connect to hirondelle, then
cvslock to lock the destination path before calling rsync with the given
arguments.

On mordred (the initiator and sender side), there is one rsync process
which pid is 17155.
On hirondelle (the client and receiving side), there are two rsync
process, the first has pid 14745, the second has pid 14746.

Please, find the three strace files here http://llloic.free.fr/rsync/
(there are too big to be sent by email), the pid is in the filename.
Note that the two computers have 9 hour difference in the time because
they are not in the same time slice but the synchronization is quite good.

Thank you to take a look at this, I hope my report is correct now and
that you will be able to do something with it.

Best regards.

P.S.: sorry for the delay in the answer, I first tried to sent the
strace files attached but it seems that it doesn't work.
--
Loïc Le Loarer
Sigma Designs Europe