IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 18:48:27 GMT 2006

On 12/6/06, Master Abi <master at lavacoms.com> wrote:
> I have a Windows server backing up to a Linux server that continuously
> gets 'IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion' in the receiver
> log file. Could someone enlighten me where and what this error is
> referring to. I have tried various options, like using --delete or
> --delete-during. Still the same problem.
>
> Is it on the sender or receiver side, or a timeout encountered somewhere.

That message indicates that there was an error on the sender during
file-list building.  The sender should have printed a separate message
indicating what the error was, but the message might have been
suppressed due to -q.  Rsync reasoned that the error may have
prevented it from seeing some of the files on the sender.  To avoid
naively deleting their counterparts on the receiver, it skipped the
deletion phase altogether.  If you want it to delete anyway, use
--ignore-errors.

Matt