rsync in cygwin to my linux nslu2 has permissions problems

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 01:17:52 GMT 2006

On 8/8/06, Matthew Smith <gizmosmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I try to backup, most of the files are copied.  Trouble is, some aren't
> since some directories are copied over and land on my linux box with
> permissions of 000.  Because of that, rsync can't copy any other files into
> that dir and moves on.

Interesting.  Currently rsync ensures that directories are
user-writable while it is putting files in them; I guess rsync should
ensure that they are user-readable and user-executable too.

> I'd really just like rsync to copy over files all at the same permission
> level (say 770) or something.  Is that possible?

The --chmod option added in rsync 2.6.7 will do that.  Specify
--chmod=ug=rwX,o= to give files 770 or 660 permissions as appropriate.

Matt