hosts allow, and using ssh

Nathan frizop at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 12:57:18 GMT 2006

I've got an issue where I'm trying to force ssh access to rsync, the only way I could find somebody saying was by doing a "hosts allow = 127.0.0.0/24" which I think Wayne said on this list. The problem is when I do that, I get a wacky error message back which is as follows:

@ERROR: access denied to rsync from unknown (::ffff:10.0.1.134)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/io.c(359)

That looks like a IPv6 that it's denying. But uhh, I don't use IPv6 on this network. This is the rsync command I'm running to attempt this,

rsync --dry-run -e 'ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -l root' -azxH \
--numeric-ids --include-from=$HOME/.rsync/backup \
--partial \
--partial-dir=.rsync-partial \
--stats \
--delete \
--link-dest=../$PREVIOUS \
$HOME \

I've even opened up a packet logger and watched all the data too and from my box and the server with not a single packet not being SSH. Could somebody explain what is going on?

(client)
rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

(host)
rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

And a copy of the rsyncd.conf
[rsync]
        comment = a place for stuff
        path = /home/rsync/Laptop-Backup