rsync giving directory by name, instead of contents

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Fri Aug 4 01:31:58 GMT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:25:36PM -0400, nathan r. hruby wrote:
>> 	rsync -avz server.edu::home/user1/public_html/ /dest/path/user1/www
>> I get
>> 	/dest/path/user1/www/public_html
>> which has the correct contents.  So things are being copied, just with an
>> extra directory.
>
> Something has to be stripping the slash, then.  One possibility might be
> your shell being overly "helpful".  Another possibility might be that
> you don't have chroot enabled, and the path sanitizer is acting up (I
> haven't heard of a bug in this regard, but if this is an old version, it
> might be possible).

I do not have chroot enabled.  But even the logs say that the / is there:
Aug  3 21:15:21 server rsyncd[18314]: rsync on users/grp012/12/nhruby/public_html/ from local

Where would a / get removed?  Any way to prevent it?

> You can try using a trailing "/." or even a trailing "/*" and see if
> that helps avoid the problem.  You could change the module's root to be
> the public_html dir, which would avoid the problem nicely (but would
> require you to have multiple modules defined if you needed multiple
> public_html dirs).  If nothing else, upgrade to a more recent version.

The below is similar to running rsync -av as well (eg: everything I try
comes back with the directory name as well).

-----
local# rsync -dv server::users/grp012/12/nhruby/public_html/.
receiving file list ... done
drwxr-xr-x         416 2005/11/12 11:57:37 public_html

sent 108 bytes  received 71 bytes  119.33 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
-----

sadly /* ignores dotfiles (which I need) and a module for every users isn't doable (we
have 85k users as of today :)

Both systems are now running 2.6.8, is that recent enough?  Sadly, getting
2.6.9 sqeezed onto the server system (AIX 4.3.2) will be non-trivial.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services  support