"missing secret for user" using cygwin rsync on Windows XP Home

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Thu Sep 29 08:30:58 GMT 2005

This caught me out too. Its not easily seen.

Try adding to rsyncd.conf
strict modes = false

Read rsync server docs.

I quote the relevant bit:
secrets file
The file must normally not be readable by "other"; see "strict modes".

But Windows can't do this. So passwords don't work.

Then you read this....
strict modes
The "strict modes" option determines whether or not the permissions on the secrets file will be checked. If "strict modes" is true, then the secrets file must not be readable by any user ID other than the one that the rsync daemon is running under. If "strict modes" is false, the check is not performed. The default is true. This option was added to accommodate rsync running on the Windows operating system.

Stuart Halliday
ECS Technology ltd
Registered in Scotland - #212513