repeatable disconnections when rsyncing over ssh

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Sep 24 07:38:23 GMT 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:06:43AM +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> I wonder what can be problem here? Some kernel settings?

It looks like the connection closed.  The strace on the receiving side
shows the receiver notice the problem first when it tries to read the
socket's fd.  Then, the generator tries to write the socket's fd and
gets an error.  On the sending side, the process tries to write some
data to the socket and gets an error.  So, no process went away for
some non-socket related reason to precipitate the closure.

That seems to mean that you should be looking for some network-related
reason for a TCP connection to close.  Rsync sends a lot of data in both
directions, so it has been known to uncover errors in a network driver
before, so that's one possibility.  I've also seen a case where a NAT
router would either periodically reboot and close all the open TCP
connections.  I don't have any better suggestions than that, I'm afraid.