Rsync - slow performance problem...

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Oct 4 13:55:46 GMT 2005

On Tue 04 Oct 2005, Gary Mansell wrote:

> I notice that the performance is pretty slow ranges between 2 and 6
> MB/s.
>
> The command that I use from a remote machine to this, the archiving
> host, is:
>
> rsync -avz -e ssh ./dir archsrv:/archive/DATA
>

> An investigation with top shows that the system is cpu bound rather than
> IO bound and that the sshd process is consuming 75% of the CPU compared
> to the rsync process which uses about 25%.
>
> Why is ssh using so much CPU? It seems wrong to me. I would expect rsync
> to be using most as it has to do compression.

ssh has to do encryption, which is pretty CPU-intensive stuff.
You can tell ssh to use an encryption method that is less CPU-intensive,
such as arcfour; your command would look like this:

    rsync -avz -e 'ssh -c arcfour' ./dir archsrv:/archive/DATA

Alternatively, if security permits, use an rsync daemon.

> [snip silly disclaimer]

These are useless if writing to a mailing list... and probably useless
anyway.

Paul Slootman