Rsync: select: Bad file number

Holger Bartsch holger.bartsch at prhamburg.com
Mon May 9 13:45:45 GMT 2005

Hello list!

I want to try to sync files from one SUN box to another. Both running
rsync version 2.5.5 protocol version 26

whenever I try to run the command:

[root at server1:/qdmsfs]# rsync -avvv -e ssh /qdmsfs/test/ server2:/
qdmsfs/test

I receive the messages:
opening connection using ssh server2t rsync --server -vvvlogDtpr . /
qdmsfs/test
sh: select: Bad file number
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
_exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=150): about to call exit(12)

Unfortunately I cannot find any answer to the "select: Bad file
number" message.

Before using "-e ssh" I have tried with standard options which is not
allowed.

A "normal" ssh connection can be established without problems.

Can anyone point me into the right direction, please!

Thanx
Holger