--exclude-from options

Aleksey Zakharov alekseyz at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:48:35 GMT 2005

Hello,
I'm configuring rsync to use --exclude-from option however it doesnt work as
I want to.

I have a directory /source/ which contains additional directories a, b, c.
In addition /source/ directory contains some db.* files that I dont want to
backup. The tricky part is that subdirectories /source/a, /source/b and
/source/c can have their own db* files wich I do want to keep.

so how should my exclude file look?

I'm executing rsync from a source system as follows:
rsync -avz --exclude-from=/etc/rsync_exclude.file --delete --delete-excluded
/source/ remote:/source/

thanks,
aleksey