Feature request for rsync for running scripts

Erik Jan Tromp betageek at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 28 09:40:02 GMT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:06:59 -0700
Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 06:27:56PM -0500, Evan Harris wrote:
> > Is it possible that this patch might be added to the mainstream
> > release anytime soon?
>
> I was originally against the idea, but have softened my opposition after
> I saw how self-contained and simple the code turned out to be.

Pleasepleaseplease put this in mainline. I've been experimenting with the new prexfer-exec/postxfer-exec module options (from latest cvs) & I have to say I'm impressed. With some creative scripting, the possibilities are pretty much endless.

During my experiments, I noticed a pair of oddities.

First up is that scripts run from prexfer-exec/postxfer-exec don't appear to have umask set (files newly created via said scripts are mode 777).

[time passes for extra tests]

Yep, just verified. umask = 0000

Second is localtime/UTC timestamps in logs

-- 8< --

[erik at lithium ~]$ rsync -aPv testfile rsync://lithium:8730/testmodule/

-- 8< --

Jul 28 05:04:58 lithium rsyncd[27358]: rsync to testmodule/ from lithium.elements.lan (192.168.1.3)
Jul 28 09:04:58 lithium rsyncd[27358]: recv lithium.elements.lan [192.168.1.3] notification () testfile 133296
Jul 28 09:04:58 lithium rsyncd[27358]: sent 28 bytes  received 133505 bytes  total size 133296

-- 8< --

I should mention that I'm using a mix of rsync 2.6.5 & 2.6.6pre1 on my various machines (all slackware). Even with daily backups of 5 machines & moderate traffic on my unofficial slack mirror, I've never seen the mixed timestamps until now.

--
"I really want a license to do just two things: make the code available
to others, and make sure that improvements stay that way. That's really