rsync doesn't copy all files

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Mon Jul 25 08:38:06 GMT 2005

> I live in Portugal.
> I have a Windows 2000 server with file sharing activated in my company.
> I have a linux box with a 200Gb disk for backups with rsync.
> I make an smbmount to /mnt/w2kbox then I use rsync like this:
> rsync -ar /mnt/w2kbox /200gb_disk
>
> The problem is that we use accents and cedillas and those files are not
> copied to the backup directory.
> Rsync says:
> file has vanished: "/mnt/w2kbox/Company Folders/Dep.
> Administrativo/JOANA/PRE??ARIOS EXPOSI??AO.xls"
>
> Some words with accents are copied but others not.
> Where is the problem? With the way I mount the w2k share or with rsync

I got this too when I try copying a few files with international characters in their names when copying from Win2000 to XP.
See rsync archives for details.
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-April/012176.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-April/012216.html

This one seems to have fixed it, thanks to Shachar Shemesh and Matt Langelino:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-May/012638.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-May/012645.html

I fixed it (I think) by ensuring the language settings in both machines were set correctly to my local language.