RSync and SSH problems

Olivier Thauvin olivier.thauvin at aerov.jussieu.fr
Mon Jul 18 15:58:12 GMT 2005

Le Monday 18 July 2005 17:42, vous avez écrit :
> Hey all,
>
> First off, I'm new to cygwin, rsync, and actually even ssh. I've used
> ssh clients many times, but server side I'm a bit of a noob. Anyway,
> here's my problem...
>
> I set up a brand spankin new Windows XP box with only two apps
> installed: copSSH and rsync. I need to tie down all security as tight as
> possible. From what I've seen/read, it seems to me the only port I need
> open on this server is 22 (for SSH). But for the sake of testing I've
> also opened 873.
>
> I can connect directly to my rsync server (bypassing ssh) via the
> following command:
>
> rsync *.* user at host.com::module
>
> Works like a charm. However, when I try what I believe to be the correct
> SSH syntax:
>
> rsync -av --rsh="ssh -l sshuser" *.* user at host.com::module
>
> I get the following error:
>
> user at host.com's password: (enter it correctly)
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(584)
>
> I've also tried just SSH'ing into the server and it works great. I can
> run rsync as well so I'm not encountering any path issues. Lastly, I've
> checked the rsync server log file and don't notice any entries when I
> try and execute the ssh-esque command above.
>
> Am I missing some sort of syntax? Can anyone shed some light?

The syntax is wrong:

- ssh -l is not need as rsync will use the user in the url:
rsync -av --rsh="ssh" *.* sshuser at host.com::module

- the ::module does not work is you're using rsync with ssh, aka using ssh as
pipe and not port forwarding. In this way rsync start ssh and use it to start
the rsync on the remote host, all transfert are made using pipe. So this is
somthing like:
rsync options...| ssh user at remote rsync --server same_options...

The module syntaxe '::module' only apply is your calling a remote rsync
listening on its port.

The correct syntaxe is:
rsync -av --rsh="ssh" *.* sshuser at host.com:/full_path

Nanar.