Transferring large amount of files w/ Rsync - Initial transfer

israel Gold rhglaw1 at barak.net.il
Sun Jan 23 10:44:28 GMT 2005

Hi,

The following problem has appeared in the past but I have not seen
satisfactory solution.
It is common when synchronizing large amount of files over slow link.

I would like to synchronize 1TB of data between local and remote sites
over WAN.
For the initial synchronization, I would like to transfer the files from
the local site to the remote site using tapes,
and use Rsync only for the incremental synchronization.

After copying the files from the tapes at the remote site, it would have
been nice if Rsync had an option that would scan
the files and generate the checksums/hash values necessary for the
incremental synchronization step.
(so that I would not need to use Rsync for the initial transfer).
If this was an option, do I need to generate the checksums/hash values
on the local site prior to incremental synchronization ?

Is it complicated to add to Rsync an option that would just generate
checksums/hash values of files so that
the solution above becomes feasible ?.
IsraeL Gold, WiGo Technologies, rhglaw1 at barak.net.il