PROPOSAL: --link-hash-dest, additional linking of files to their HASH values

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 21 09:02:07 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:45:22PM -0800, Drake Diedrich wrote:
> I'd like to make these utilities use the same hash structure and
> race-avoidance an rsync hashdir-patch uses.

That patch still needs work as it doesn't do a proper job of maintaining
differing file attributes for files with otherwise identical content.
Some folks have expressed an interest in improving it, but I haven't
seen anything yet.  There's also a backup project called BackupPC that
maintains its own database of attributes for hard-linked files (and even
allows compression).  There's a link to the project on the resources
page of the web site (or just google for it).