Rsync over ssh and forced commands

Mario Domgörgen mario at domgoergen.com
Thu Feb 24 14:18:13 GMT 2005

Hello list!

I want to use rsync over ssh to copy files from a server to all my
clients. Basically the following commando should be used:

rsync -re "ssh -i .ssh/tomte" /var/local/tomte-bin/ merkur:/

On the client to commando should be checked so i added a
command="/usr/local/bin/check_command.sh" to my authorized_keys for the
tomte public key.

But i get the following error:

protocol version mismatch - is your shell clean?
(see the rsync man page for an explanation)
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at compat.c(58)

The manual told me to try to use "ssh merkur /bin/true > output" but it
seems everything is okay as output is a empty file.

Any ideas what could happen?

Thanks in advance! Mario

--
Serious error.