[HELP] Rsync to remote machine sometimes produces different binaries

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Feb 5 18:08:18 GMT 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:12:37AM +0100, Michael Gasch wrote:
> after rsyncing both machines, some files differ !
> i verified these differences with "diff", hexdump and "md5sum"

By default, rsync considers a file to be the same if it has the same
size and the same modified-time, so it is possible for two files that
match in these attributes to differ in contents.  If you can figure out
what changed the spreadsheets without tweaking the files' modified-time
you might be able to fix the problem at that end.

> "-c" is no alternative for me hence it takes hours to verify 1.000.000
> files!!!

Since you say that these are just the .xls spreadsheet files that have
this problem, would limiting the rsync -c to just the spreadsheets make
it workable?

  /usr/bin/rsync -W --progress --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync -e ssh
    -c --delete --force --include='*/' --include='*.xls' --exclude='*'
    -av /data/ machine2:/data/machine1/