rsync huge tar files

Shachar Shemesh rsync at shemesh.biz
Fri Feb 4 09:51:20 GMT 2005

Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Are there any tricks known to let rsync operate on huge tar
> files?
>
> I've got a local tar file (e.g. 2GByte uncompressed) that is
> rebuilt each night (with just some tiny changes, of course),
> and I would like to update the remote copies of this file
> without extracting the tar files into temporary directories.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards
>
> Harri

What distro is this? If it's Debian, gzip has an option called
"--rsyncable". This makes changes to the uncompressed file local in the
compressed file.

If this is not a Debian system check maybe the rsyncable patch was
integrated there too. If not, compile your own version of gzip. In order
to apply it to the tar file, you will have to not use the "z" option
while creating the tar, but instead pipe it to gzip. Instead of doing
"tar czf file.tgz dirs..." you do "tar cf - dirs... | gzip --rsyncable >
file.tgz"

Enjoy

          Shachar

--