meta data stored in separate file?

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Tue Aug 9 21:16:29 GMT 2005

There's something called backuppc (i think backuppc.sourceforge.net)
which uses some sort of db backend and has multiple possible transports,
rsync is one option.  I think it might do what you're looking for.

It also has other interesting features, like storing only a single local
copy (on the backup server) of a given remote file.  So you don't, for
instance, have an entire windows XP image on disk for each
client, but rather many database entries for files with these names &
md5sums.

I haven't really used it (yet).

I don't think it directly supports mac resource forks, perhaps could be
made to do so with an appropriate rsync variant.

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 01:58:47PM -0700, Joe Pruett wrote:
> > I recommend using a program such as fakeroot (when used with the -s
> > option to save the meta data) or pretendroot (which I haven't personally
> > used).  For instance, either run something like this for a daemon setup:
> >
> >   fakeroot -s /path/fakeroot.data rsync --daemon --port=8873 \
> >         --config=/path/rsyncd.conf
>
> but this doesn't work for windows acls, and maybe not for unix acls.  it
> also wouldn't apply to apple fork data, which was another thread i found
> but forgot to mention in my message.
>
> i realize this is turning rsync into more of a backup system than it is
> now, which is why i was thinking maybe it could be done with client side
> code.
>
> --

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile