New delete option?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Apr 22 17:09:53 GMT 2005

[It appears I missed this message back in February -- ouch.]

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:53:32PM -0500, Andrew Gideon wrote:
> FWIW: In the manner I can envision using this, it makes more sense to
> delete the source as long as the destination file is valid, whether
> that file moved during this execution or not.  This provides a "mv"
> function that's safe against a failure.

That is an interesting point.  The current option allows you to have
identical files that didn't get transferred, and thus don't get removed,
but that does mean that if the transfer gets interrupted it might do the
wrong thing with a file.

I'll contemplate what to do going forward since the --remove-sent-files
option was already released.  Perhaps a --remove-source-files option
should be added that works as you suggested.