question about using rsync with inetd

Kick Claus claus.kick at siemens.com
Fri Sep 10 10:05:37 GMT 2004

Hello,

we would like to use rsync (2.6.2 manualy patched and recompiled) in daemon
mode spawned by inetd (Solaris 5.8 Environment).

/etc/services:

rsync          1234/tcp                        #RSYNC daemon

/etc/inet/inetd.conf:

rsync stream tcp nowait publish /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon --port 1234 .

Alas, this does not seem to work, there is the following error message in
the log file:

Fri Sep 10 10:41:54 MEST 2004
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(342)

We are using a different daemon at the same time, which also is spawned by
inetd, and works, so that should not be the option?

Using rsync as standalone daemon  works fine with the same settings, so my
question is:
is there an issue with rsync being called by inetd or are we missing
something?

I would be grateful for some help.
Cheers,

Claus Kick