Problems of preserving file owership and uid&gid options in rsyncd.conf

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 7 18:16:23 GMT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:18:43AM -0400, neo wrote:
> However, I can't find these same options as mine in the example script
> files.

FYI, the rsyncd.conf manpage lists all the available options.

> So what is the proper way to set the uid and gid options?

The options as you listed them were fine (assuming that you have a user
and a group "root").  You can also try this instead:

uid = 0
gid = 0

And don't forget to specify access control, to avoid letting anyone
write files into your /var dir.