group change causing failure

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Oct 5 19:26:05 GMT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 01:02:57PM -0500, Joe Eiler wrote:
> I have been doing a "rsync -av localhost::" to see if a daemon is
> running, is this a valid test?

Yes, that should return a connection-refused error if rsync isn't
running.

> The core file is about 680k, I am going to attempt to crack the core
> file open, would anyone else like to take a look (looking at Wayne
> with very sad eyes)

To ensure that the core file is useful, make sure that your rsync is
compiled with debug symbols (i.e. run "gdb rsync" and ensure that
"l main" shows you the source).  The default Makefile includes debug
symbols in the rsync it generates, so as long as they didn't get
stripped out, you should be OK.

Then, you should be able to run "gdb rsync core" and get a backtrace
("bt") of where it died and be able to look around at variables.  If you
want me to look at it, I'll need both the (debug-enabled) executable and
the core file -- either put them on a web site somewhere and email me
where they are located, or gzip the files and attach them to an email to
me (not the mailing list, though!).