Professional grade rsync?

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Fri May 28 18:32:56 GMT 2004

Silly suggestion, perhaps, but...

Ever considered simply breaking your sync down into several separate
sets?  IE instead of rsync /foo/baz user at machine:/foo, where /foo/baz
contains ten directories each then spiraling down into hundreds of
thousands more... rsync /foo/baz/1 user at machine:/foo/baz, then rsync
/foo/baz/2 user at machine:/foo/baz, and so on.  Enterprising sorts can, of
course, write wrappers in Perl or the shell of your choice to
automatically sync everything in /foo/baz one directory and/or file at a
time with ease.

I haven't personally run into your upper end limits on heavy-duty
equipment, but I've used the technique described above to keep old 32MB
and 64MB machines in successful service as rsync servers; the principle
is the same - scale your single sync down to a level that your hardware
can handle.

(It should also be possible to make rsync more memory-friendly when the
size of the job exceeds the resources available, by causing it to do the
exact same thing as the wrapper described above does, but I'm not going
to kvetch.)

Jim Salter
JRS Systems