Bidirectional speed question

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Mon May 24 17:01:14 GMT 2004

I agree with Paul.  It's almost certainly hour WAN link.  My own at home
often gives sustained downloads in excess of 2Mbps,   This seems to be
throttled by the cube of the difference between upload speed and 16kbps.
When I get up to 10kbps up, it's still useable.  At 12, it's like a 21,400
dialup, at 14, it's like amateur packet radio, and at 15-15.9kbps upload,
all downloads cease... even name resolution fails.  Sprint Broadband
Direct is an extreme example, but most home broadband has similar linkage
between the pipes.  You are likely to actually improve your overall
performance by throttling the rsync with the --bwlimit= option.  Turn the
upstream one's speed down to about 70% of its maximum alone, and it should
leave enough for the downstream to do well.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

2. Line speed is around 100 kbps but halves when transferring files in
both directions.