rsync output -vv differs with dry-run option

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Tue May 11 12:41:21 GMT 2004

The dry run was successful, and transferred 0 bytes.  The dry run is for a
quick check, and will show what objects, if any, would be transferred in a
real run, not exactly how many bytes would be transferred.  Perhaps a
--write-batch in a dry run could create the batch files, and you could
just wc them.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

I'm trying to figure out if a file has changed since the last rsync call.
use the following command line:

rsync -cvv /mnt/xxx/vol1/dbase/100/kunden.dbf /mnt/label | grep "^total: "

| sed -e 's/.* data=//'

This gives a 0 if the file is unchanged and the file size if the file has
changed. Adding the "dry-run" option "n" to the command line always gives
0. I wonder if this is a expected behaviour?