Feature Request: Multiple Streams

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Fri Mar 12 00:46:12 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 04:08:49PM -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> This looks very promising. I have two concerns:
>
> 1) how bad is it if one of the batch destinations isn't exactly like the
> original's destination was? Are we talking corruption, or will it say
> "You screwed up, try again!" ?

The trees need to be identical. rsync --read-batch will bail out at the point
the batch fails to apply, iIrc.

This behavior could be changed if there was interest, presumably by adding a
keep-going flag or something similar.

> 2) The man page says
>
> BATCH MODE
>        Note:  Batch  mode should be considered experimental in this
> version of
>        rsync. The interface or behaviour may change before it
> stabilizes.
>
> ... Is that just to scare off the weaker types, or should I be wary of
> using this for production work?

Why don't you try it and let us know? :) It worked fine in all the tests I ran
while porting the batch mode code over. Since I never managed to get anybody
at work interested in actually deploying it I have not used it much since,
sorry.

--
Jos Backus                       _/  _/_/_/      Sunnyvale, CA