link-dest

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Mar 9 07:32:04 GMT 2004

System is current Debian stable with rsync version:

* rsync  version 2.6.0  protocol version 27
* Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
* batchfiles, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
*
* Modified for Debian to have --bwlimit-mod, a variation on the --bwlimit
* algorithm.

I have noticed that --link-dest only seems to work for me if I'm using an
absolute path for DIR. None of the examples seem to show this, so I gather
it's something I'm doing wrong. Here some example code:

DIR='/tmp/test/0'
rm -rf /tmp/test
mkdir /tmp/test
rsync -a /bin/ /tmp/test/0
rsync -a --link-dest=$DIR /bin/ /tmp/test/1
cd /tmp/test
stat 0/ls | grep Inode
stat 1/ls | grep Inode

In the example above the Inodes match, meaning the right thing happened.

Now, if I re-run the above code and change $DIR to a relative directory
from CWD (such as ./0 or 0 if my CWD is /tmp/test) the inodes do not match
up.

Any ideas?

-Chuck

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR