rsycnc copies all files

Gareth gareth at bim7.com
Fri Jun 18 07:57:08 GMT 2004

Tim Conway wrote:

>Use "-a" unless there's a reason you need to retain different permissions,
>owners, etc..

Okay - Thanks

>I don't know the nature of your filesystems, but I have a guess... on at
>least one end is a network filesystem - NFS, SMB, NCP, AFS, something like
>that.

I was actually testing locally, but plan to use NFS eventually when I'm
more familiar with rsync.

>rsync has the "-W", or "--whole-file" option, which tells it that
>there's no point in trying to read the file for changes - if it needs
>transferring, just send the whole thing, because the LAN overhead will
>waste the savings in WAN.

I was looking for the opposite of this :-) Wayne kindly pointed it out,
--no-whole-file.

I guess this should only be used for low bandwidth WAN connections?

Tim - Thanks for your help, and for taking the time to show a sample
run. Much appreciated.

Gareth