Use (or not) of hard links

John summer at ComputerDatasafe.com.au
Fri Jun 4 00:34:27 GMT 2004

I am not subscribed to this list.

I anticipated that with this set of options
rsync --recursive --links --hard-links --perms --owner --group \
--devices --times --sparse --one-file-system --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
--delete   --delete-excluded --delete-after --max-delete=80 --relative \
--stats --numeric-ids

that rsync would not only preserve hard links but also exploit them in
not sending files which are hard links from existing files.

Logically, I don't see any difference in complexity in spotting existing
  hard links before the copy.

If hard links are not possible at the target (not so in my case) then a
file copy at the destination beats transferring source to dest over a
network.

Anyway, despite my expectations I see a transfer of a Debian netinst ISO
is apparently being transferred despite being a hard link of an existing
file.