Rsync Performance

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 23 02:33:21 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:15:04PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> is there any intention of a "new improved" "--partial" option whereby
> any failed uploads are kept as temp files

I had been contemplating whether we need a new option for this or not.
One idea would be to change the behavior when --partial was combined
with --temp-dir in that the partial file would be renamed to the normal
name in the temp dir on abnormal termination and the directory would be
preferentially checked for the basis file (kinda like --compare-dest).
However, it might be better to create a new option named --partial-dir
that would indicate that this new behavior was desired.  (For instance,
it might surprise someone that the --temp-dir could receive a non-temp
format name in it.)

Anyone have a preference?  Or a better idea?