Q: Rsync, Batch: How to avoid the "password" ask ?

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 6 14:00:35 GMT 2004

You're getting there.  Save yourself some typing, though, and simplify
your commandline until we get auth working.  just "rsync
bart2@%BSERVER%::backup_pa"  get the list and we're past the hurdle.
Looking at what you're doing, my guess is that you have world read on your
secrets file - /etc/rsync.scrt.  set it to  u+rwx,go-rwx, i.e. 600, and
try again... or, if you have no possible security concerns about your
logged-in users, leave it whatever you want and add "strict modes = no" to
the module so it won't care any more.
Note:  unless /mnt/hdc1/backup has o+rwx, or nobody ownership, the nobody
user isn't going to be able to write.  I'd suggest that if you're having
only bart2 use it, and he's a real user, have bart2 own it and be the uid.
 If it's for multiple users files, make it root, and rsync will handle
ownerships.
DON'T make the rsync auth user name "root" - hell, don't make it anything
that has system access.  Everything you use runs as the uid anyway. Better
yet, give each user his own module, running as himself.

If you're safe inside your own lan, ignore my security paranoia.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info ... and the congratulations ;)

but now when I try to do this in a batch file :
SET BSERVER=192.168.0.102
SET RSYNC_PASSWORD=bart2
rsync -av --delete "/cygdrive/c/Doc/backup/Desktop/MesFavories.rar"
bart2@%BSERVER%::backup_pa

I got the following error :

@ERROR: auth failed on module backup_pa
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (94 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.2/io.c(342)